Table of Contents:
Having a picky eater furry friend can be a real challenge for any pet parent. Finding a treat your dog likes can be a daunting task for a dog parent, especially if your dog is very picky about its treats. Also, you are looking for the best treats that your dog likes. In that case, you should also be careful about the nutrients required for your fur-baby's well-being.
Fear not! We have brought a list of top 10 dog treats that not only your dog likes but are also packed with nutrients and are healthy. Let's look at the top dog treats that your dog will drool over!
How to Choose The Right Dog Treat?
There are some points you have to keep in mind regarding the type of treat you provide your dog. Some dogs love all kinds of treats, while others are very picky and like only certain types of treats according to their preference. Dogs mainly love treats that emit a strong smell or contain protein. Here are some points to remember while providing treats for your pups.
- Dog Treats with High Nutritional Value
You should provide your dogs with treats that make them happy and engaged and provide essential nutrients required for them. Also, dogs love smelly treats and are often inclined toward them. So make sure to give the treat your dogs love, and also, the dogs are getting essential nutrients from the treats.
- Single Ingredient Dog Treat
Single-ingredient dog treats are usually preferred more by dogs since the actual flavor of the treats is not diluted by additives or fillers. These dog treats are healthy and loved by dogs due to the flavor dogs can enjoy from the treats.
Top 10 Dog Treats for Picky Dogs
Yak chews are one of the most widely used treats for dogs of all sizes. Yak chews are available in different sizes according to the size, age, and breed of your dog, regardless of whether your dog is small, large, or giant. Yak chews are perfect treats to satisfy the chewing instinct of dogs. Yak chews are widely known for their toughness property.
These long-lasting treats are made by hardening yak cheese and are entirely hand-crafted. These treats ensure your four-legged companion enjoys the long-lasting chewing experience and provides the necessary nutrients required for the well-being of your dogs.
Advantages of Yak Chews:
- Rich in nutrients like calcium and protein
- Easily digestible
- Promotes dental health by removing plaque and tartar buildup
- All-natural (No preservatives or additives)
- Grain-free, Gluten-free
- Low-odor and mess-free dog treats
- No stress about allergies
- Nothing goes to waste (The remaining bits can be converted into delicious cheese puffs by microwaving yak chews)
Bully sticks are another widely known and popular dog treat among dog parents. Bully sticks are single-ingredient chews made from the bull pizzle. Bully sticks are suitable for any size, age, or breed of dog and can satisfy the chewing instinct of dogs. Also, bully sticks come in different sizes or forms depending on the chewing behavior of dogs.
Advantages of bully sticks:
- Long-lasting and durable
- Promotes dental health
- Rich in protein
Drawbacks of bully sticks:
- Bully sticks are known for a bad odor that can leave a lasting smell in your house since bully sticks are a byproduct of meat factories.
- Bully sticks may leave mess or stains while your dog gnaws on them.
Also Read: Yak Chews vs Bully Sticks
Rawhide chews are another famous type of dog chews that dog parents widely use. Rawhide chews are made from animals' dried skins or leather industries' leftovers. These skins are brined in salt to slow the decay process of skins. (American Kennel Club - Are rawhide dangerous for dogs?)
There are mixed opinions regarding the rawhide chews. Some believe rawhide chews are great for your dog, while others don't. Let's take a look at both these perspectives.
Advantages of rawhide chews:
- Long-lasting and durable chews
- Promotes oral health of dogs
- Great for mental stimulation
Drawbacks or rawhide chews:
- While these chews are made from animal skins, these are cured and preserved and are not exactly natural
- Rawhides are not suitable for all dogs since not every dog can digest these chews
Dental chews are designed to clean your dogs' teeth and maintain healthy gum. Dental chews are one of the best chews you can provide your pup. These chews are safe, healthy, and approved by vets too.
Dental chews come in different shapes/forms, flavors, and sizes. Dental chews can be both edible and non-edible. It all comes down to the preferences of the pets. If your dog is a picky eater, non-edible dental chews might be the suitable one for it.
Advantages of dental chews:
- Safe, long-lasting, and healthy(if edible).
- It comes in different forms and flavors according to the preference of your pup
- Promotes dental health by removing plaque and tartar
- Reduce inflammation in the gums
- Keep your pup's breath fresh!
As the name suggests, pig ears for dogs are made out of pig ears. The pinna or flap of the ear is used to make these tasty dog treats. Pig ears are dehydrated, to make them into treats for your dogs. These delicious dog treats are loved by most dogs.
Advantages of pig ears:
- Dogs love pig ears! These are delicious treats for dogs
- Easier to chew for delicate chewers and senior dogs because of the density
- Keeps your dogs' breath fresh
Disadvantages of pig ears:
- Pig ears being high in fat, should not be given regularly
- Consuming these chews regularly might cause vomiting and diarrhea
- Not suitable for power chewers(aggressive chewers) since it may cause choking
- It contains additives and preservatives
Antler chews are another one of the most used natural and healthy chews. Antler chews come from naturally shed elk, deer, or moose antlers. These chews are all-natural, cruelty-free, and nutrient-rich, making them one of the best chew treats for your dogs.
Antler chews come in different sizes depending on your dog's size and chewing behavior.
Advantages of antler chews:
- Long-lasting and durable
- All-natural, additive-free
- Promotes dental health by scraping off plaque off the teeth
- Antlers promote the digestive health of dogs
- Excellent source of calcium and other minerals
- Keeps your dogs busy
Disadvantages of antler chews:
- Antler chews may cause splinters that can get lodged in the dog's mouth or throat. Supervision is important.
- Antlers can be messy as the end pieces can easily be splintered and scatter around the house
- Not all dogs like the taste or smell of antlers.
Fish Skin Chews
Fish skin chews are made by drying up the fish's skins and scales. Fish skin chews are one of your dogs' healthiest and most delicious treat options. Most dogs love these single-ingredient dog treats. Skins of fish like salmon, cod, wolf fish, sardines, and whitefish are used to make these fantastic chews.
Advantages of fish skin chews:
- Rich in protein, high-quality fat, minerals, and vitamins.
- Promotes oral health of dogs
- Easily digestible
- Rich in omega 3 for better health of your dog.
Disadvantages of fish skin chews:
- These are not long-lasting chews like other chews
- Upset stomach if eaten many
Sweet Potato Chews
Sweet potato chews are one of the easiest to-make treats for your dogs. Peel the sweet potatoes, slice them, and bake! Viola! You have your sweet potato chews ready. These chews are easy to make at home and are loved by most dogs. These treats are healthy and tasty, that your dog will be fond of.
Advantages of sweet potato chews:
- Safe, healthy, and natural treats
- Improves digestive systems in dogs
- Sweet potatoes protect dogs from heart disease
- One of the best sources of fiber
- Rich in vitamins
The beef trachea is a type of dog chew made by drying the windpipe or trachea of the cow. Most dogs love beef trachea, which is healthy, safe, and nutritious. There are many health benefits of beef trachea for dogs besides being delicious treats.
Advantages of the beef trachea:
- Healthy and safe dog chews
- Promotes dental health and oral hygiene
- Good treats for puppies and adult dogs
- It helps to reduce the risk of arthritis in dogs
- It helps to prevent or minimize joint issues.
Disadvantages of the beef trachea:
- These chews are usually not long-lasting
- Excessive use of these treats may cause digestive problems
Green Tripe Chews
Green tripe chews are the edible linings from the stomachs of cattle like cows, buffalo, and sheep. These linings are unprocessed treats for dogs meaning these linings are not bleached or processed in any way. These chews are freeze-dried for dogs to munch on. These are one of the healthiest treats for your beloved fur babies.
Advantages of green tripe chews:
- Great for stomach/easily digestible
- Improves immunity in dogs
- Great treats for muscles and bones
- Rich in protein
- Long-lasting and extremely chewy treats
Disadvantages of green tripe chews:
- These chews can be smelly and emit a powerful odor
Finding the best treats for your picky dog is no longer difficult. With this list of the top 10 dog treats for fussy dogs, you can spoil your pet with delectable treats that satisfy their palate preferences while still supplying vital nutrients. Remember to introduce new treats gradually, and if your dog has any dietary restrictions or allergies, talk to your vet. So go ahead and give your dog a delicious treat they'll love!
Also Learn: 7 Best Dog Chews that Last Long